Coach Bernal has over 30 years of experience in coaching and developing elite athletes.
The following are highlights of his credentials and accomplishments:
- Established New England’s most successful comprehensive swim program to develop and train young athletes, as well as prepare them for future athletic opportunities and acceptance at major universities.
- Coached and achieved excellent results at Harvard and Fordham Universities; Won numerous Ivy League and Eastern Collegiate Athletic Association Swimming Championships; Produced over 40 N.C.A.A. Collegiate Division I “All Americans” and two National Swimming Champions.
- Developed and coached 6 Olympic champions; was on the coaching staff for the XXIV Olympic games; Coached USA National Team (head coach).
- Through innovation and creativity revolutionized the 5th stroke with the dolphin kick. Pioneered and refined the use of the dolphin kick for strokes, starts, turns and zones.
- Achieved American Swimming Coaches Association (A.S.C.A) – Level V Coaching – Division 1 status.